Nothing says summer like a juicy sweet bite of watermelon on a hot sunny day. Did you know that watermelon is only 46 calories per cup but rich in vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant compounds?
Below are some health benefits of eating this tasty fruit.
- Hydrating -Staying hydrated is very important to your health. Eating foods that have a high water content can also help. This refreshing fruit’s water content is 92%? Another great way to keep your body hydrated.
- Antioxidants-Watermelon is high in Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Vitamin B1-B5-B6, potassium, magnesium, and is also high in carotenoids, beta-carotene and lycopene. Plus, it has citrulline, an essential amino acid.
- Aids in Digestion-It can also help aids in digestion and contributes to weight loss due to its fiber and water content. This is important for healthy digestion.
- Improve Heart Health-Several nutrients in watermelon have specific benefits for heart health. Watermelon can help support heart health due to the fiber, vitamin C, and potassium.
- Electrolytes– Skip Gatorade and try watermelon with a sprinkle of salt. This fruit is rich in electrolytes, including potassium and magnesium, which means it’s an excellent replenisher for the body.
In honor of National Watermelon Day, here are 4 great recipes to incorporate celebrating this special day or anytime.
- Kosher Salt
- 3 oz fresh watermelon juice
- 1½ oz. tequila, blanco
- Splash of triple sec
- ¾ oz. fresh lime juice
- Sliced jalapeño, optional if wanting spicy
Combine watermelon juice, tequila, triple sec, jalapeño if using, and lime juice in a cocktail shaker. Fill shaker with ice, cover, and shake vigorously until outside of shaker is very cold. Rim glass with salt. Serves 1
- 1/2 watermelon, peeled, cubed
- 1 cucumber, chopped and cubed
- 10-15 fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 10-15 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup or honey
- 2 tbsp of fresh lime juice
- A drizzle of olive oil
Whisk together the honey, lime juice, olive oil, and pinch of salt. Set aside. Combine the watermelon, cucumbers, and fresh herbs. Top the watermelon salad with the vinaigrette and gently toss combining feta cheese. Enjoy! Serves 6
- 1.5 pounds fresh watermelon
- 3 large roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small cucumber, peeled & chopped
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves, packed
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender. Puree for 1 minute, or until the soup reaches your desired consistency. Taste and season if needed. Refrigerator and serve cold. Serves 5
Watermelon Lime Popsicles
- 2 cups fresh watermelon juice
- 3 oz water
- 1 whole lime, juiced
- 3 tbsp of honey or maple syrup
Toss watermelon, lime juice, and sweetener into a blender. Blend until smooth. Add more sweetener, if needed. Pour into popsicle mold and freeze. Serves 6-7
Hopefully, you can enjoy some delicious watermelon recipes and reap the fantastic health benefits they offer. There are so many great ways to eat and incorporate watermelon in your next meal or treat.